Opinion

Nigeria’s Judges: Getting Set To Cast the Final Votes Of the 2019 Elections, By Chidi Odinkalu

Democracy may be about choices and decisions by citizens in theory. As practised in Nigeria, however, what is clear from these three seasons is that there is very little room in it for the average citizen. If they is anything, citizens are mostly spectators. Every election cycle in Nigeria has…
See More »
Opinion

For Those Irritated By Nigeria’s Many Political Parties, By ‘Tope Fasua

...I will urge Nigerians to get rid of our miracle mentality. New parties have only recently come on board. They have been involved in just one general elections. Neither the parties, nor Nigerians in general should expect that they start to win elections everywhere. Structures take time to build, especially…
See More »
[sc:"post loop ad"]
Bámidélé Upfront

Asiwaju Bola Tinubu: What Will Be Your Legacy?, By Bámidélé Adémólá-Olátéjú

If you choose to repudiate self and focus on building an enduring legacy, you are in a position to charge our trajectory, especially in the Southwest by working with your political Sir, in twenty years what will you be remembered for? What current of political philosophy or social advancement would…
See More »
Aribisala on Tuesday

Buharimaniacs and Buharideens, By Femi Aribisala

Buharimaniacs are of the conviction that Nigeria is now legitimately the property of the president. The rest of us are here simply by his grace and generosity. New nomenclatures have come into the national political lexicon since the emergence of Muhammadu Buhari as president of Nigeria. Two that come to…
See More »
Columns

Why I Am Unable To Defect, By Uddin Ifeanyi

It matters therefore that we ask the question: “Are our political leaders’ actions and expressions sufficiently capturing sentiments in their political constituencies?” The sub-themes to this question should have us wonder whether our politicos should be shaping these sentiments, or how much should these sentiments shape both our politicos’ In…
See More »
Columns

2018 and the Return of Politics, By Jibrin Ibrahim

As the political class accelerates its activities in the coming weeks and months, the Nigerian voter is clearly in a painful process of decision-making. The Buhari administration has not delivered sufficiently on their promise of improved security, more jobs and a successful war against corruption. They would therefore have great…
See More »
Opinion

Why Must the Next Nigerian President Come From the North?, By SKC Ogbonnia

Nigeria has moved onto political zones, instead of the regional concept. Thus, the presidential calculators ought to zoom their searchlight into the North-Central and the South-East, being the political zones that are yet to produce democratic presidents. In other words, any presidential aspirant from the North-West, South-West, South-South, and North-East…
See More »
Opinion

2019: Why Your Votes Are a Waste of Time, By Ohimai Godwin Amaize

...the most critical step in deciding who becomes the next president, governor or senator, as the case may be, is in the hands of less than 20 percent of Nigeria’s voting population. The remaining 80 percent majority or more are completely shut out of the party primaries where the decisions…
See More »
Columns

Politics and the Institutional Disconnect In Nigeria, By Jibrin Ibrahim

The disconnect between the people and the politician is almost total and that has been a tragedy for the process of our democratic politics, as many leaders have been socialised to believe that they do not need the people. On Monday, the Northern Union organised an anniversary lecture to honour…
See More »